WH2O restoration post 4: Hand Me The Paddle
While I’m waiting for my parts, there is plenty to keep me busy. First thing that comes off is the Upper Playfield, so I started there. Getting that off was a bugger, but it eventually yielded. I pulled everything off it, some of it held on by the most ridiculous methods. Giant wood screws, bits of leather (really!), a twist tie holding a switch in place… I guess you work with what you got when you are a route tech.
It still had the factory mylar on it, which was good. Except where it was worn through, which was bad. That VUK has done a number on the playfield.
So I froze the mylar off, and used Goo Gone to clean up the left behind adhesive. Then a little elbow grease, Novus and sandpaper took care of the rest. Tada!
No one will mistake it for NOS, but it’s much better than before. Cleaning the bottom sides of the inserts with alcohol and Q-tips made a huge difference too. Light can actually come through them now!