WH2O restoration post 6: Rapids Ahead!
With the playfield cleaned up, I turned my attention to the cabinet. I had used a PMS color sample book and PMS 293 C matches for the decals and PMS 294 C for the blue paint. I had a ugly place above the shooter that would need wood filler and paint, which is why I matched the decal color too. The two are one shade off, with the decals being just a touch brighter of blue. The “C” stands for “Coated”, btw, which matches better to glossy enamel paint. I got it matched with an automotive enamel, and it looks good.
I replaced the backglass lift channel and the rear glass moulding. I also painted the wood the head sits on, the bottom U channel the DMD and speaker assembly sits in, and the top metal piece that sits above the head, whatever that is called.
I pulled the speakers out and cleaned the speaker grills from both sides. While I had the plastic DMD cover off, I got out the Novus #’s 3, 2 and 1 and got to work. It took 1/2 hour of hard rubbing, but it looks great! Cleaning the grills and brushing the dust off the speakers themselves brought back the deep black color, and the plastic DMD cover is now scratch free and clear as glass.
The inside of the coffin was dirty and scratched up, but not to the point that I was willing to repaint the whole thing. So I touched up the scrapes with a brush and called it good.
I painted the wood under the lockdown bar, in hindsight I’d use gloss black, rather than flat.
Next I cleaned up the front of the cab, put on the new coin door (should have got the 2 slot) and filled in the gouge above the shooter. I used the touchup paint that was supposed to match the decals, and it’s not even close. Looks way worse in person. I’m definitely re-doing that. Still, much better than before.
To finish up the cabinet work, I cleaned up the sides with a Magic Eraser and replaced the flipper buttons. I polished the legs and put a set of dark blue Pincab protectors on, mainly to hide the scrapes in the decals around the legs.